Saturday, December 31, 2011

If Heaven Was on Earth

   

Growing up with the most wonderful grandparents in the world was fantastic. The problem was they were 14 hours (Drive Time) away - North Eastern Montana aka not worth it to fly because the beauty of Montana includes very few airports.
Almost every year it was a family road trip that included stopping along the way to see aunts & uncles & family friends and then finally after cramped legs, headaches, and stiff backs we would arrive.
At the Farm.
I’m convinced that if heaven was on earth it would be at the farm. Driving down that old country road with wheat fields on each side, it seemed to take the longest time to get from the highway to the farm than it did to drive from North Idaho to Nashua. The excitement of seeing Grandpa & Grandma and in our younger years Uncle Mark was almost unbearable.
We’d jump (or fall out) of the car to rush inside the beautiful old farmhouse and give hugs 3 or 4 times and give the update of the trip so far, get settled in and anticipate the arrival of morning.
Ben (my older brother) and I at the farm
More often than not you’d wake up at a ridiculous hour in the morning to hear Grandpa or Uncle Mark talking to other farmers on the ham radio. (A sound no matter how old I get I’ll never forget) Drifting back to sleep for a short time before Dad would come in and say “the early bird gets the worm” or “the sun’s up & why aren’t you” or “Grandmas breakfast is getting cold”. That one was my favorite because the first day we were there Grandma would fix cold cereal so we could start enjoying the day together with fewer dishes.
Starting your day on the farm was so surreal. I envy my mother and her siblings for having the opportunity to grow up there, with the antique shed, and tractor shed and the greenhouse and silos and endless amounts of fun to be had without modern annoyances.  
One of Grandpas Tractors. I've driven this one! and yes it's FUN!

We take for granite sometimes how peaceful the world can be if you just stop and enjoy it. The farm always put that back into perspective. Picking flowers with Grandma to press in the flower press and make pretty cards or pictures with them later. Riding the bikes around the farm and walking the fields, or driving one of the tractors.
L-R Mom, Matt, Uncle Mark, Jenn, Grandma, Me, Grandpa, Ben. Notice who gets to sit in the middle of Grandpa & Grams? That's cause they love me more. :-) 
 My favorite sound in the world is when the wind rustles through the almost ready harvest, its like an ocean of gold. Watching the waves rush through the harvest, close your eyes and you can almost smell the wheat. Just use your imagination and take yourself back to your place of almost heaven. Feel... think... breathe... the memories of a haven away from the daily rigmarole and it will put a smile on your face. 

1 comment:

  1. Marina - reading this took me back so many years to when I was fortunate to grow up on that very farm. Two of my favorite things to do were: taking long, long walks down the lanes, up the hills, beside the wheat fields to enjoy the beauty, nature, sounds, and to think through things in my life....oh and to view the most breathtaking sunsets. The other thing I loved to do was open the window in my upstairs bedroom, push my head against the screen, look at all the trees in the backyard, and listen to the wind and birds chirping or doves cooing. It really was like heaven and I miss it so much. Thanks for bringing back some of those memories. I'm glad you had such good times on your visits. G'ma and G'pa's farm was a very special place. Love, Aunt Becky

    ReplyDelete